Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Morning After - New Delhi to Dharmshala

Good morning New Delhi! I woke up after 3 hours of sleep surprisingly invigorated. 
Perhaps it's the spirit of India that has gone through me, perhaps it's the encounters I've had so far with its people. Everyone I've crossed paths with has been so genuine and helpful. I got to experience a traditional Delhi breakfast of porridge, nan bread, vegetable stew and toast and jam. My compliments to the chef! My only observation is the view I woke up to lol, I'm sure it's the case in a lot of alleyways here, I just find it contrasting to the service and amenities. 



I made it back to the airport thanks to my driver Turkajdi, with plenty of time to go through checkin security. I found it interesting that they have a separate line for women and men. With women officers doing wand scans behind a closed curtain area, as to respect our privacy. I read that India is quite conservative when it comes to women still. I was advised by many who visited here before to cover the ankles and thighs to avoid catcalls. And try to show the least possible amount of skin. I was also told how Indians regard personal space... They don't :) they will get as close to you as possible disregarding that "personal space" we come to expect in Western cultures. There are also very few times when an actual line is formed or followed, so don't take it personal if you get cut off as there is no formal way of holding line. And I shall disclose that this happens on a whole other level when you are driving! I consider my self a pretty aggressive driver, learning to drive in Manhattan, this is beyond aggressive. It definitely keeps you on your toes! I see why the prefer method of travel is the rickshaw. 














































I write this as I wait for my flight to Dharamshala, where I discovered the dollar gets a better exchange rate. I leave you with some images from my morning adventure in Delhi.
~ Namaste




No comments:

Post a Comment