Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Full moons, Bhagsu Cake and Knife Sharpeners...

Day 11th here in India and class is intensive and exhausting, yet extremely fulfilling. Our teachers are truly experts in their field and everyday I find my self learning many new things. I can't believe a week of classes has already passed. Yesterday, during our day off, a group of us went to meet with our Anatomy teacher who happens to be an Ayurvedic doctor, to learn what type of Dosha we are. The three Dosas—Vata (earth), Pitta (fire), and Kapha (water)—are derived from the five elements. Also known as mind-body types, the doshas express unique blends of physical, emotional, and mental characteristics. In Ayurveda, health is defined as the dynamic state of balance between mind, body, and environment. I discovered that I am mostly Kapha (water), and it truly describes my personality traits quite closely. Based on your Dosha, you are prescribed a diet, exercise program, lifestyle and mood stabilizing exercises and Yoga Asanas to balance your body, in accordance with the five elements. It was such an interesting experience, our teacher is extremely knowledgeable and experienced on this subject. It was fun seeing how this ancient Eastern medicine is adaptable and far more accurate in diagnoses, than the modern Western way of treating a patient. I plan to follow my prescription to see how it can affect me.

This week was also a full moon cycle or "Chandra" the Sanskrit word for "Moon", and it not only brought some amazing female energy into the village, but also encouraged many drum circles and rituals that the locals and tourists were enjoying and sharing together. It is quite striking to see the beautiful round, full moon, peeking through the caps of the Himalayas. This place is magical on so many levels. The same night we had the privilege of getting our own private concert of traditional Indian music with Tabla and Flute, that the school hosted. This beautiful music is so enchanting, it transports you to a time where Maharajis and snake charmers ruled the land.
Truly enchanting. 

This Sunday we will be taking a 6 hour trip to Amritsar, which is "home to the Harmandir Sahib (commonly known as the Golden Temple), the spiritual and cultural centre for the Sikh religion. This important Sikh shrine attracts more visitors than the Taj Mahal with more than 100,000 visitors on weekdays alone and is the most popular destination for non-resident Indians(NRI) in the whole of India. The city also houses the Akal Takht, the highest seat of earthly authority of the Khalsa, and the committee responsible for the upkeep of Gurdwaras." On top of seeing this amazing temple, we will be treated to the Pakistani/Indian Wagah border soldier ceremony, which is supposed to be quite the spectacle. It will be really exciting to see this and be so close to Pakistan.

Other than that, things are amazing here. I am really enjoying my time and the new friends I am making. India is filled with really amazing people, who teach me something new everyday. This country has taken a huge piece of my heart, which I feel will remain here, even after my departure. I leave you with a message of love that my teacher and friend Suann shared with us this morning. "Showing gratitude is appreciating the things that the universe sends you for what they are, without wanting to change them".

~Namaste


 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment