Friday, July 15, 2016

Chilli Beans, Monks on Cell Phones and Random Blackouts... Welcome to Dharamshala

After a turbulent 2 hour flight from New Delhi, I arrived in Dharmsala. The altitude got to me at first, but I was able to adjust rather quickly. I met up with a few of the fellow students, enrolled in the same program as me, and we were able to share a taxi up to Upper Bhagdu. This was quite the experience. Drivers are very aggressive here in India and driving up the cliffs, on a road fit for only one car was fun yet scary. I specially enjoyed coming around the sharp curves to find a cow laying down in the middle of the road, this is very common here (cows are sacred of course). They are also joined by their goat friends, who roam freely up the mountain. On the way up, we stopped at a local tea farm and got to see and taste the first leaves of Black Tea. Our driver was quite the character, there is a picture of him and my new friend Shannon (from Ireland via Germany) below. There were many people on the road at the local shops and restaurants, including Tibetan monks making their way around the mountain. I even saw one on a cell phone, which I found quite amusing and contrasting. 






 

After miraculously making our way up through Macleodganj, we arrived at the institute. We checked in and were shown our assigned rooms. My accommodations are sweet, clean and simple, with gorgeous views of the mountains and village. There is a temple next door which caters to all religions. It's a replica of a Tibetan temple, but has all deities there, welcoming all to worship. I can hear the drums and bells from the temple certain times of the day from my room. It's is truly enchanting. A group of us headed to grab a bite at a local restaurant named Chilli Beans. The food there is not only fresh, delicious, local fare, but you can also order anything your palette desires; Mexican, Italian, Thai, Tibetan, Chinese, Indian, Vegan (most things are vegetarian or vegan regardless) or breakfast all day! It's my favorite place so far. I ordered a Pareen Enchilada, which was delicious. The restaurant is housed under a circus like tent, with tables and typical Asian style floor seating, which is much more comfortable and better for your digestion.

 

 


We explored the village for a bit and then headed to rest. I am still adjusting to the time and after traveling for two days, I fell asleep earlier than I ever have and woke up to the sounds of a kitten around 3:30am. The little guy must have been hungry, I tried to get his attention, but startled him and he left. It started raining while I slept and hasn't stopped since. I am told this is not only the wettest part of all India, but the rainy/monsoon season. We are expected to have rain for the next couple of weeks. Thankfully it's not too hot. The weather is in the 70s and cool and fresh. Not having AC doesn't bother me, as it will not be missed. Specially since there are random blackouts quite often here. And this is vey common as well, so don't be startled if it happens. As I write this, I'm back at Chilli Beans for breakfast (their wifi is the best connection I've found so far) in the 1 hour and a half I've been here, we've had two blackouts already :) they come and go very fast. I ordered a traditional breakfast, which consists of eggs, (local chickens who roam, no factory farming here) potatoes with peppers and onions (which I pick the onions off, ewww), rice toast with the most amazing butter and jelly. All local and fresh ingredients. I also had an avocado soup which was amazing! The market hadn't opened yet due to the rain, so we had to wait a little bit for our breakfast, which was well worth the wait.



We start classes in the afternoon after lunch. I'll probably spend the next couple of hours exploring a bit more and checking out the local temple. There are so many lovely local shops too, I know I will be spending some money on things to bring back for friends and family there. I will also like to say that if anyone is planning on coming to Dharmsala or Macleodganj, you should wait to exchange your money here. You get much more for it than in Delhi or the airport. (In Delhi I got 62 Rupees per Dollar and 70 Rupees per Euro, here I got 66 Rupees per Dollar and 73 per Euro).

Upper Bhagdu is truly a beautiful place filled with yogis and people from all over the world, who are seeking enlightenment and a spiritual journey. We have met so many nationalities already. It actually reminds me a bit like Asheville, NC in the cultural scene. There is no lack of yoga studios, Crystal shops, Reiki and meditation courses, vegan/vegetarian cuisine and Internet cafes. It's a wonderful place to be.

~Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment